1. (BUNT HIT)
3. FB INSIDE, FIELDER'S CHOICE AT 2B, JAMMED HIM, JUST MISSED DP
4. FB CS OSC, BACKDOOR SLIDER CS OSC, HIGH FB SOS
5. (LH) SLIDER BALL ISC, FB CS, SLIDER GO
1. (DOUBLE GB RF)
3. (SAC BUNT, ERROR 1B KONCEL ON MISSED CATCH - BASES LOADED)
4. GIDP, RUN SCORES
5. FB FOUL, FB CS OSC, SLIDER LOW INSIDE, GO
NOTE: FB LOW 90'S, SLIDER LOW 80'S (83-84)
1. JAMMED FB ISC, BLOOP SINGLE LF
2. SLIDER FOUL, SLIDER INSIDE FOUL, SLIDER LOW INSIDE, SLIDER FC SS JUST MISSED DP
3. FOUL, GIDP 3B
NOTE: ROSS REALLY KNOWS HOW TO WORK INSIDE, JAM BATTERS, BREAK BATS AND GET DOUBLE PLAYS WHEN HE NEEDS THEM
2. foul, ball, foul, standup double, left center field gap
3. fb outside, catcher visits mound, infield single to shortstop
4. slider low, fb oustide, Brad Holman visits mound, foul, rbi groundout
5. fb inside, hbp
6. foul, go
1. POP UP TO CATCHER
2. FOUL, SLIDER OUTSIDE, FOUL, FB HBP
NOTE: ROSS' THIRD HIT BATTER, NOT MISSING A LOT OF BATS IN THIS OUTING, HIS SLIDER ISN'T AS EFFECTIVE AS HIS LAST START
3. FOUL, SB THROW LATE, FOUL, FOUL, SLIDER LOW, FB FOUL JAMMED, SHALLOW AO (NICE BASKET CATCH BY PIMENTEL, CRASHING INTO FENCE IN FOUL TERRITORY), RUNNER ADVANCES
4. FOUL, FB OUTSIDE, FOUL, SLIDER JUST OUTSIDE, SOFT LD SINGLE LF, RBI
5. GROUNDBALL SINGLE BY 3B
6. FB BALL, FOUL, FOUL, RBI DOUBLE
NOTES: ROSS UNABLE TO THROW FIRST PITCH STRIKES IN THE LAST 2 INNINGS UNLIKE LAST OUTING, HE JUST DOESN'T HAVE HIS BEST FB COMMAND OR SLIDER TONIGHT
7. GROUNDBALL TO 3B, ERROR ON 1B KONCEL, LOW THROW BY WEST, RBI
8. HOLMAN TO THE MOUND, FB LOW INSIDE, BALL, FB CS ISC, LD SINGLE TO CF, RBI
ROSS IS DONE. PXP GUYS STILL HAVEN'T CALLED A SINGLE CHANGEUP IN ROSS' LAST THREE STARTS.
1. JOHNNY GUNTER IN RELIEF (MISSED HIS 1.1 INNINGS)
2. JOHAN YAN PITCHED THE 7TH AND WIELDS A GOOD CHANGEUP THIS OUTING TO MY SURPRISE. NOT SURE WHAT IS VELO IS AS A SIDEARMER NOW. PREVIOUS GAME PXP SAID HE THREW A CURVEBALL BUT AS A SIDEARMER IT IS PROBABLY MORE LIKE A SLIDER/SLURVE DUE TO THE ARM ANGLE. PITCHES 2 SCORELESS INNINGS.
3. Mighty Joe Ortiz had his sweeping curve working in the ninth, striking out the first to hitters.
I asked Jason Cole over at LonestarDugout.com what he thought about the lack of changeup calls in Ross' starts by the Hickory PxP guys. Given that Ross did throw the pitch last year in Spokane, and quite effectively at times, and that Ross has talked with Cole about working really hard on the pitch last year, I found the whole affair a little odd. Here is the exchange which confirmed my suspicions:
Goyo: I've listened to his last three starts and the pxp guys have not called a single changeup in any of this starts. Given that this is his 3rd pitch, I'm fairly certain that the coaching stiff is fairly intent on not letting him forget to throw it in game action. Do you think the pxp crew is just seeing his change as a FB? I've heard them call changups for other pitchers during that three week period, sometimes in the same game, so I'm a little puzzled. It seems as equally unlikely that Ross wouldn't be throwing it/working on it as it does that the pxp crew wouldn't recognize it given that they do call the pitch for others (and assuming there is a gun so that they can see the velo). Anyways just wanted your take...
Coley: I think it's highly unlikely that he's just stopped throwing his changeup. I've heard that he mixes in a decent amount each game––not a ton but not exactly abandoning it either. I think that probably falls on the announcers sometimes struggling to recognize the fastball-changeup differential, especially since (if I recall correctly) the radar gun in Hickory is WAY off. I remember it having Font at like 86 last year when he was at 94.