Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cephus Howard

Rangers inked 26yo Cephus Howard yesterday, an enormous RH reliever (6.5-6.6/245) who pitched in Indy ball the last 2 years. He was drafted late by the Angels in 2007. As he didn't even pitch in college - his first year on the mound was in rookie league - I guess he qualifies as a classic Texas bullpen sign: late to the game with a good fastball. He likely will compete for a spot in HighA or AA, possibly even starting out in extended or possibly not making a club at all. Whatever the case, this kid has an interesting story:

Howard says, "In the Spring (after academic suspension) I got a job and I was like, I don't know about this. So I moved to Atlanta and I got a trainer and a pitching coach and it went from there."



#######

No comments:

Post a Comment